• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Might be pregnant...

peachness

Bluelighter
Hi all, I just wanted to ask a question of the medical students/practicing doctors of the forums. I realize you can't give me advice and that I should speak with my doctor. And a warning to the squeamish... some of this is gross.

It was actually a doctor's appointment that started me thinking about this. For some history, I have been off of birth control pills for three months. I have been on them fairly consistently up until the last year. Then I was forgetting to take them and completely threw them out when I kept screwing up. And also because I smoke... the added risk of blood clots was freaking me out. (I want to note that I would quit the SECOND I find out, if I am pregnant. EDIT: I have cut back a fair bit already.) I am curious to know if this may factor into the below issue (in terms of hormone fluctuations).

I also should mention that several years ago my doctor thought I might have PCOS. I have accepted that it makes sense and that I possibly do, though lately I have been able to tell that I do ovulate more frequently than I used to (maybe I just didn't know I was at the time?).

Anyway, my period at the end of July into August came as normal. 4 days of regular, fairly light period with only constipation and oily skin as my PMS symptoms. Started sleeping with a new guy August 20th (no condoms, he pulled out - yes, I am stupid) and had sex three more times in a 5 day period after that. Exactly 7 days later what I thought was my period came along. It started with an eye popping headache the likes of which I have never had before. After a 6 hour "nap", the headache was gone. I then felt sick to my stomach... figuring it was just the normal period runs (after I have constipation for a few days), I tried to go. Nada. Ended up throwing up and not really pooping much since. What appeared to be my period started, though it was lighter, 3 days, pink, and slightly more mucous-y than it normally is.

I attributed vomiting to being constipated (though I wasn't in any pain). Before this I had been feeling really great, no runs or constipation for months - since I stopped the pills. Didn't think much about the period itself until I realized that most of my periods are mostly older blood and have clots.

Ever since the whacky period started I have been very tired, bitchy, occasionally nauseous, constipated, feel bloated (obviously), very light cramps and random pinching sensations in the general vicinity of my ovaries, peeing slightly more, and having pestering headaches throughout the day... every damn day. Within the last two days, I have been having dizzy spells that catch me off guard. Last night it was just sitting on the porch, and today I happened several times when I was just sitting doing work. Kind of odd.

So I went to the doctor last Thursday for a totally unrelated issue (I see a GYN for this issue), and when I mentioned the odd period and the timing of the sex I'd been having, she got a funny look on her face and told me she thought I needed to take a pregnancy test. Since I would have been 4 weeks or less (technically two or less since the earliest conception could have occurred), I told her the dates again and that I thought it might be too early to tell. She agreed and told me to take a test if I don't get my period or another weird one happens next time. I also confided in my sister and she agreed as well, there's a possibility I could have ovulated late and might be pregnant.

So... shit. I have taken two tests a couple of days apart since last Thursday and both were negative. When should I test again? Should I even be worried at this point if those tests were negative? I don't want to turn a blind eye in case I AM pregnant, but I just don't see it as a possibility. I could be having all of those symptoms because I can't shit. Any advice/similar situations/insight is much appreciated!

This happened to me a couple months ago. Unprotected sex, even though he pulled out. I get my periods every 28 days but I was late. After 5 days, I began to panic. Let my bf know and now he's freaking too. So 6 days late I bought a test at CVS and it came out negative. But I'm NEVER late, so after 12 days, he bought 2 tests and sat with me and did another test. Still negative so that was a relief! A full 14 days late, it came and I was jubilant and so was he. The strange thing is, like my vengeful uterus remembered it was time and got another period 2 weeks later. Do not fret baby, my doctor told me these home tests are like 98% accurate. He explained back in the old days, women went to the doctor to find out if they are pregnant. But now they already know! If it will make you feel better, take another test. But I'm betting you are not pregnant, just late! Keep me posted ok! ~theresa

Hey, Theresa. Thanks for answering! I'm sure I'm a little stressed over nothing, but it is hard not to be when even the doctor thinks I am. Only thing is, I'm not late. I had what looked like a period on 8/27. First time we had sex was 8/20. It COULD have been implantation bleeding, but I didn't think a person could ovulate so late in a cycle. My next period will be due on 9/25 or thereabouts. So I'm not late, just having some weird issues that are leading me to the conclusion that I might be knocked up. :|

Are you really really tired? One of my symptoms when I had my "oops" was I was reallllly tired. Like I would sleep for 8 hours and still be tired like I hadn't slept in ages.

I went off birth control for about a year and went back on. It's kinda weird, because now I get a really light period for only a day and that's it. That's not normal for me at all, but when I had my ooops I had a really light period (talking about only a few drops) and then it stopped.

The best thing to do is take a test. It will totally help you from getting all worked up.

Hi Lysis. I am really tired. I'll get part of the way through work, I'm heavy eyed and groggy. By the time I get home at 6 all I want to do is sleep. And in the mornings, it is everything I can do to shut off the alarm, let alone get out of bed.

I know those light "periods" can happen at the beginning of a pregnancy. Sure makes it difficult for us to know what's going on!

I think I'll take another test Saturday morning. I think by then I should be able to get a reliable result.

Thanks!

normally about 4 weeks is a better time for testing for hormone levels to be high enough to show on a test. Some folk have their period during pregnancy, just lighter.
I found I noticed every smell when I was early pregnant, I was very emotional and cried over forgetting to put the kettle on, the constipation I got was horrific, and it got worse through my pregnancy.
I would say do the test as soon as you think you would be about the 4 week marker for a truer result or go to the doctors for a blood test.
pull out method em well not the best idea, maybe next time make sure you are using something :)

Thanks, tiggerific! Will definitely wait a little longer to test. And I'll be buying some condoms ASAP since he doesn't seem to be too interested in 'em! :)